Welsh rugby’s ‘pathway’ and Sevens jersey is closely aligned to the traditional red (home) and forest green (alternate) senior men’s and women’s kits launched prior to the Rugby World Cup in Japan, with two key differences – the bespoke design includes a ‘dragon scale’ pattern and reverts to the traditional embroidering of the three-feathers logo.
The new kits feature the latest custom-made Airvent ArmourGrid fabric technology from Under Armour. Airvent ArmourGrid was created to meet the functional and performance needs identified by Wales players. It is a highly breathable, lightweight and durable woven fabric which allows sweat to be wicked away during the game. Mesh ventilation technology, featuring hundreds of tiny holes, that help players avoid overheating without sacrificing fabric strength.
Luke Treharne, Jay Jones, Dafydd Smith, Will Thomas and Cai Devine, members of the Wales Sevens squad who will be the first to wear to the kit at the Emirates Airline Dubai rugby sevens, starting on 5th December, have already tried it on for size (pictured).
And supporters can buy the men’s and women’s replica jerseys in both adult and youth sizes in shops now or from the WRU store https://store.wru.co.uk/ priced at £70 for adult versions and £50 youth.
“We are grateful to Admiral for their continued support of Welsh rugby and our Sevens and pathway teams and to Under Armour for producing a truly inspirational design.” said WRU performance director Ryan Jones .
Admiral, who have been a Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) partner since 2010 and moved their support to Wales’ Sevens and pathway teams when they ended their association with the senior national squads in 2017, will also feature on the men’s Sevens, U20 and U18 kits.
Admiral CEO David Stevens commented, “We’re hugely proud to support the future of Welsh rugby through our sponsorship of the Sevens, U18 and U20 teams.
“Our staff tell us that Admiral’s connection with Welsh rugby means a lot to them, so I know they will love the new jersey and will wear their Admiral adorned shirts with pride.”
Technical performance features of the kit include:
• Airvent ArmourGrid is highly breathable, lightweight and a durable woven fabric which allows sweat to be wicked away during the game
• The quick drying grid technology and mesh ventilation on the authentic jersey is strategically placed to aid heat management in hot and humid conditions
• Airvent ArmourGrid material features on the front, back and shoulders of the new jersey, as well as on the shorts
• The mesh ventilation technology features hundreds of tiny holes to allow players to lose any unnecessary heat without sacrificing any fabric strength
• The fit is designed to cater for the rigours of the modern game with grab and grip zones reduced and excess fabric removed from the player’s shorts making for a slimmer fit
• Both kits feature a modern interpretation of the white collars featured on classic Wales kits